Shall I? Or shan't I?

I've been delving pretty heavily into research the past couple of days regarding my diagnosis. Here are some thoughts/notes/info I've found:

  • Fish Oil can help to lower NK cells that are elevated. I bought some Fish Oil this morning, but I think I'm going to return it after doing more research. I want to get the kind that's a bit more expensive and more "pure". But, gonna give it a shot.
  • Most reproductive immunology doctors say that NK cells higher than 15% is high. Mine being only 10.7% doesn't seem that high to me, based on things I've been reading online. If the Fish Oil can help get me back to normal, that would be amazing.
  • A Gluten-free diet has been shown to help some women who struggle with infertility and autoimmune issues. When I get back from the beach in a couple weeks, I'm going gluten-free. (Bye bye beer!). I also got an amazing private message on my TTC forum from a woman who swears that by going gluten-free, she got her BFP. It was definitely an eye-opener. Because of her and that PM, I have done lots of research on the gluten-free diet. I may need to name my first child after her, if this works (hope you are reading, friend!) :)
  • Almost everyone I've seen online who has tested positive for Antiphospholipid Antibodies has had several early losses. That is a concrete symptom of APAs. I have never had a loss, as I've never been pregnant. I don't understand why I haven't had any losses based on my diagnosis. I don't understand why I've never been pregnant.
This new research has given me a renewed sense of urgency when it comes to my fertility. I'm not convinced that I need IVF. Am I in denial? Maybe. Delusional? Oh probably. But I can't afford IVF in the foreseeable future, so something's gotta give.

Another thought that has been flitting through my tiny little brain recently....

I am thinking of crawling back to my former RE with my new-found diagnosis in hopes that he will treat my Antiphospholipid Antibodies with heparin and we could continue with IUIs.

Is that completely crazy?

I don't want to wait a year or however long until I can afford to go see Dr. Sher or any other doctor, for that matter. My former RE is the ONLY one in town.

I know Buster will not be thrilled with this thought. But if I have to deal with my RE's subpar bedside manner in order to make my wildest dreams come to fruition, it's worth it.

I also don't see any reason I need to be on injectibles, and probably not even Clomid. Perhaps just a trigger shot so we can time it well. Or perhaps not even that. Maybe not even an IUI. I just don't know what my former RE will agree to. Maybe nothing.

I hate being in this position. I hate floating on, not knowing what to do.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy my long-weekend visiting with family and celebrating the holiday. Happy 4th to you all, hope it's wonderful! <3

Comments

  1. Okay - here's my opinion, you don't have to agree, but I feel like I should just tell you what I honestly think. I think getting a second opinion before making the decision to try IVF is a must. You don't want to make such a huge financial commitment without it. I don't think going back to your old RE is a good idea. I mean, maybe go back with the new results and see what he says - but from what you've written on here, he's kind of a schmuck and I don't expect he'll really do much. I feel like you've wasted so much money and time with him. I'm biased towards this, of course, but I think you should come up to Pittsburgh and see an RE here. It doesn't have to be Dr. W, but I do think you should get a second opinion from someone other than your old RE.

    That's my two (or fifty) cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the second opinion idea.
    Can you do un-medicated IUI's until you are able to do IVF, I found them super easy.
    I went glutten free a few months ago. I have endo which is auto-immune, I found the switch pretty easy. There is glutten in some weird places so be careful (like soy sauce).
    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this will be at all of use to you, but after reading your post, I remembered someone else with immune issues, who had a successful pregnancy a year or so ago after some treatment (and IVF). In the event that there is anything useful there for you, here's her first post on her blood testing (you can read forward for treatment): http://wishing4one.blogspot.com/2009/11/results-are-in.html

    Good luck. If only we had crystal balls to tell us which way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want some good news? GF beer is out there and it tastes pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts