IUI #4

Well, yesterday was the big day!

As I was waiting to be called back, I talked to the really sweet girl at the front desk. I mentioned the Oaf to her, and how he yawned at my lady parts. Also how he had unfortunate aim with the dildo wand. She got a big kick out of that. I mentioned that I think it might have been the first time he'd seen a vagina, and she said that he has a wife and two kids. I'm convinced those children are adopted. She said that he is no longer there, as February is over (I guess the residents are there a month...?). So, that's a relief! First good news of the day: no mo' Oaf.

I get called back and head into my home-away-from-home, AKA exam room 3. I strip down and hop up on the table and patiently await the arrival of the doc. I realize I forgot my cell phone in my purse, which I was planning on taking up on the bed with me so I could time that whole "Lay here for ten minutes" part (I'm apparently a really bad judge of how much time has passed). I really wanted to get up and get my phone, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head that while I was halfway there, the door would open and my bare ass would be on display for the train of doctors, nurses, residents, etc. who entered. So, to avoid that risk, I just stayed seated.

Fossil Fran enters. That's it. Just Fossil Fran. She has the sperm vial, so I'm assuming she is going to do my IUI. Initially I was a little disappointed. Shouldn't my RE be doing this procedure??

My disappointment quickly diminished, however. Fran spent a good bit of time talking to me about Buster's sperm. His post-wash count was 31 million with almost 90% motility, and was grade 4 (which she said is the highest grade of sperm). They had never told me the grade before, so that was interesting. I mentioned to her that we are on a steady decline of sperm, and that I was slightly disheartened by that number. Back in January we had 112 million post-wash, and last cycle it was 69 million post-wash. I really need to get Buster on a multivitamin.

Anyway, she said to not be discouraged because it was a great number. Ok, fine Fran! I will not be discouraged. I then asked her why we never do an ultrasound on the day of IUI. She replied that she always does one on the day of IUI. Hello! Fran! Where have you been my whole life?!

Fran does the IUI, then makes me put my feet up on the table and my knees in the air. She has me lift up my butt and she tilts the table so that "the sperm can swim downhill" (her words!). She told me to lay there for 15 minutes and then she'd be back to do the ultrasound. My RE never does any of this! I just lay on the stupid table with the sperm battling uphill and he has never said anything of it!

So after my nice power-nap, Fran comes back in. When my ute pops up on the ultrasound screen, Fran says, "See all those little sparkles? Those are the sperm." O.M.G! It was beyond amazing to see the sperm. They weren't actually sparkling, although how awesome would that have been? It was just a clump of white stuff on the black screen. They were right up by my tube! Where they were supposed to be! What smart little guys. I'm so proud!

Then, we take a look at my follies. I had a 24mm and a 19mm. Hopefully there are eggs in both and my chances are that much more increased. Fran believes they will both release. She also mentioned that my cervical mucus looked great.

I start progesterone suppositories on Saturday, one in the morning and one at night. She said for me to take an HPT 13 days from today, and if it's positive call them right away. She also said to have "intercourse" last night and today. Yes ma'am!

I am so much more hopeful about this IUI than I have been for others. I hope I'm not severely disappointed in a couple weeks, but that's the risk involved I suppose.

After the IUI, I get back to work and see a missed call from my boss. I call him back, and he tells me I'm getting a $2/hour raise. At this point I'm really on cloud 9.

Yesterday was a great day! And I feel like I haven't had enough great days recently, so I am incredibly thankful for this one.

Comments

  1. Aw, what a great day all around! Honestly, although I know you wanted more follies, this IUI hit the mark - if you're like me you have a checklist and Fossil Fran (and hubby's sperm) done good, and you're taking progesterone, so no need to worry about low levels, and you're having sex on the best days. All bases covered - so sit back and (dare I say it) relax and think baby thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like everything is falling into place.
    I am getting to love Fossil Fran, she sounds like she is on top of it!
    Ugh, 13 more days to wait, I will be thinking of you and hoping that this is 'THE ONE"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! I hope you get your BFP in a couple of weeks!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoohoo for a wonderful day!! Nurse Fran seems AWESOME!! Can you request her from now on lol?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling better about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had quite an amazing day. YAY for that smaller follicle catching up too!!
    I'm going to keep everything crossed for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is amazing. I've never had an u/s after an IUI, that sounds really neat :) Fingers super crossed for you, hoping your string of good luck continues!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like everything went great for your IUI! I've never had an ultrasound done the day of the IUI either, but how cool to see the sperm in place! And those counts are great, even if they are lower than what you are used to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's hear it for Fossil Fran! I'm so glad you had a good day - you deserve it! Congrats on the raise - that's awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah GL GL GL GL GL GL GL

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful day! And how much do we love Fran!!! Oh I hope this is the one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like an incredible IUI! I hope mine will be that awesome! I wanna see sperm up by my tubes, too LOL
    And congrats on the raise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I never got such fancy treatment at my IUI's either. How wonderful that much have been! While I'm hoping you'll never neeeeeed to get your dh on the vitamin regimen, I can recommend the following: High doses of Vitamin C & E, Zinc, Co-Q Enzyme 10, and Folic Acid. Oh, and lots of Anti-Oxidants! Check with your doc on the doses.

    Best of luck with this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is GREAT news.. Way to be optimistic :) Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fossil Fran sounds awesome! I LOVE that you got to see the swimmers too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL @ "no mo' Oaf!!" And way to go Fossil Fran!!! I feel really good about this cycle!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds great. Wishing you the best of luck and a BFP!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic. Sounds like a textbook IUI and hooray that the Oaf wasn't involved.

    Bets of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. best.day.ever! <3 fossil fran!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome!!! I hope this is your cycle!!!! Congrats on the raise!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing all the best- it's so nice when you have a caring nurse/health professional to help you along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts