broken-hearted

It never ceases to amaze me how much I cherish the friendships I have forged while battling infertility. Through TTC/IF forums and blogging, I have met some amazing women. Women that I call best friends, who I feel closer to than people I have known my whole life.

About a year and a half ago, I joined a "buddy group" on my favorite forum. I am so thankful that I happened upon that group, and that these women are in my life.

Of course, the majority of them have gone on to have babies. And that's to be expected in any circle of friends, I suppose. I've supported them through their pregnancies, births, and now as they are mothers. And they have supported me, through all of my ups and downs (mostly downs, unfortunately!).

But now there is a call to arms for support like none I've encountered before.

Jasmine, the beautiful 4-month-old daughter of one my dear friends, has been diagnosed with dialated cardiomyopathy (DCM). Basically, her poor little heart is enlarged and weakened, and cannot function properly.



She was diagnosed with DCM at the age of 3 months, after an initial misdiagnosis of an ear infection. Yep, an ear infection. Unbelievable, right? She has since been placed on the organ donor list, awaiting a new heart.

Jasmine's mother, Naycee, has had to take leave from her job to care for Jasmine. The hospitals in their hometown, Las Vegas, recommended transferring Jasmine out of state. She has now been moved to California, and Naycee is by her side every chance she gets.

Naycee's husband and their two older children remain in Vegas, as the kids are in school. They come visit on the weekends and when they get the chance, but it's really taking a toll on them.

Naycee has started a Facebook page for Jasmine, called Jasmine's Hopeful Heart. If you would, please take a second of your time to "like" this page. Naycee is hoping to drum up a buzz around little Jasmine, and the more "likes" on her Facebook page, the better.

Newspapers, radio and television stations have been contacted. Organ donation is a sensitive subject, especially when you are on the "needing" end of it. And although another family will have to suffer an unspeakable tragedy in order for Jasmine to get a new heart, this is Jasmine's only chance.

Private donation is also an option, if the right scenario materializes. But for now, precious little Jasmine is on the donor list, and is staying strong.

She had to be re-intubated the other day, and it breaks my heart to see photos of this little princess with tubes everywhere. She is such a strong girl, though, and how could she not be? Her mother is one of the strongest women I know, not to mention an amazing mother and wonderful friend.


Please take a second of your time to "like" Jasmine's Hopeful Heart page, and to pass it on to your friends. I appreciate it, and I know Naycee does, too.

Comments

  1. I can't even imagine. This is hitting close to home today with our babies being the same age. I will visit her FB page and share it. Prayers for that precious little girl and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've liked the FB page thanks for sharing this. My husband's first words were where can we donate. I'm praying for her and hopefully if Naycee begins taking donations she will post of FB.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts