IVF on planet Alderaan

So yes, we are in the study! But you know this already.

I am currently in the midst of taking birth control pills for two weeks. At the end of those two weeks, I will go to my former RE's office for a monitoring appointment. They will do an ultrasound and bloodwork, and then fax it to my clinic in NYC.

Before we go any further, I want to give my new clinic a nickname. From henceforth, my new clinic in NYC will be known as Alderaan. The clinic's real name makes me think of Star Wars every time I hear it, so why not embrace my nerdiness and just go for a Star Wars theme?

So, back to a detailed timeline. After Alderaan receives the fax detailing my status, they will call me and let me know if I should start my Clomid. I do not know what dosage of Clomid I will be using yet, but I know that I will be taking it for about 10 days. During those 10 days, I will have several days of Follistim injections as well. And more monitoring appointments locally.

I will head back to NYC in the middle of October for egg retrieval. Embryo transfer will take place the following cycle, in which they will only transfer one embryo. The reason for only transferring one embryo is because I drew the Mini IVF arm. In the conventional arm, they transfer two.

That right there is the only reason that I'm a *tad* disappointed. I've been dreaming of twins for the longest time, and even more so once I started fertility treatments. There is just an allure to having two, and then not dealing with infertility ever again.

I realize that might make me sound selfish, but really... come on. I've gone through 4+ years of misery, I'm allowed one selfish wish, right?

Could I be happy with one baby? Of course! I would be beside myself. I'm not sure if our family would be complete at that point, however. But no need to stress about that now. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

For now, I'm enjoying the start of this IVF cycle. This is all new to me, and incredibly exciting. And I'm totally expecting it to work, which is probably a recipe for disaster! I just can't help myself.

____________________________

While in NYC last Wednesday, I spent some time in Central Park. Probably an hour and a half. I read my Kindle and people-watched. Here is a photo I took:


Being a "country girl" (in quotes because I don't feel much like a country girl...), I was unimpressed with Central Park as a whole. I can understand the appeal, however, if you live in the concrete jungle. It smelled like piss and shit, but was at least a little peaceful. Oh, and to clarify: human piss and dog shit. Wonderful combo, right??

____________________________

On the Project Runway front (spoilers ahead, in case you missed last week's episode!), I was quite sad to see my favorite antisocial robot (Olivier) go home. I knew this was coming, unfortunately, but it still left me disappointed.

Honestly, I didn't really like any of the looks they produced for that band. I'll be happy for them to get back to designing for the models again. I just like womenswear better. Does that make me sexist??

I guess I'm pulling for Anya to win at this point. I don't mind Viktor either.Who do you want to see win?

Also, did any of you catch the commercial for Project Runway All Stars? I'm so pumped for that to start! I'll be pulling for Mondo and April for sure!


Comments

  1. Oh, good luck, good luck! You know I wasn't terribly impressed by New York. I much prefer Chicago, but maybe that's just my inner-Midwesterner speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wishing you the best of luck! I am so happy you are at a better clinic & a part of the study! Such great news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand your disappointment of picking the trial where they only transfer 1 embryo. Hey, maybe it will split, you never know!!

    As someone who lives in the country I can understand how Central Park isn't that appealing. The smells sound interesting....

    Hoping this cycle is a huge success for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck with everything in the up coming month :) i think about you often, and want nothing more than for this Mini IVF to work :) Fingers (toes, arms, and legs) all crossed for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if there is actually proof out there, but I have heard of SEVERAL people that conceived identical twins via IVF. I have two friends personally who did. :)

    I think I'm rooting for Viktor. I don't really like his personality all that much, but I pretty consistently like his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't want to give you any false hope here, but twins is still a possibility. There's something about the IVF process, all that messing with the embryo and such, that increases the likelihood that it will split.

    My girls were identical. We thought they were fraternal until we were in the ER losing them. We had transferred 2 embryos, so we just figured.... anyway, they would have been the first set of twins anywhere in either of our families history.

    So yes, even when just one embryo, you still have slightly (SLIGHTLY) better odds of conceiving twins than if you were to conceive the old the fashioned way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on the twin dream and no, it's not selfish :)
    good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you all of the luck in the world for this cycle.
    And (don't hit me) I'm so glad Olivier got sent home. Seriously, dude was FREAKING ME OUT!
    I don't get the commercials on my side of the globe so excuse me while I freak out:
    OMG!!!!! MONDO'S COMING BACK!!!!!!! YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you, I'm done now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping the baseline goes well for the cycle :) Sorry they're only transferring one though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally understand your thinking about twins. DH and I have talked about that too - 'wouldn't it be nice to have twins and not have to go through all of this again?'

    I think Central Park is the best in Autumn when the colors are all ablaze, or in winter when it's snowy and you can go watch the ice skaters. Have you been to Bryant Park yet? Try going there next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this comment "There is just an allure to having two, and then not dealing with infertility ever again". I totally relate to this one!!!

    Hoping for nothing but the best from this cyle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a lot of us infertiles dream about having twins. If we go through all the pain of infertility, there's a huge allure to having a instant family with two babies!

    So excited about Project Runway All Stars... Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts