the furry kind of baby, v2.0

Due Date: April 10
Take Home Date: June 10

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I'm going to be mommy to another beautiful four-legged pup!

I have wanted to get another dog since we got Kelsey (September of 2010). I like the idea of two dogs so that they aren't bored. And I feel like Kelsey is bored often.

Kelsey as a pup.
Usually Buster quashes my "second dog" discussion. Money, time, space, etc.

Now that we are in our new home, though... something must have changed his mind. Perhaps he's been thinking  the same as me: that little princess Kelsey is a little bored by herself. And now that we have the room... why not?

Last July, I contacted a local Golden Retriever breeder. We talked for an hour on the phone. I could tell that she is a responsible breeder. And I wanted one of her pups! So she took my name and contact information, and she said she would contact me when they have an upcoming litter.

I didn't hear anything until three days ago. A litter is expected in April, and I can bring my little pup home in June!

Buster and I went back and forth on this decision. I'm all for it, obviously. And before you get to thinking I'm some kind of dog snob (ok, I guess I am a little), I think Goldens have the absolute sweetest demeanor. Their temperament is perfect for a house that hopes to have kids in it someday.

We discussed adopting a Golden from a rescue organization. I've really wanted to do this for a while. Buster would rather have a puppy, though. I'm not exactly certain why, but I'm pretty sure it's so he can train the pup young. He trained Kelsey, and honestly she's the best dog in the world (have I mentioned that before??).

Last night at dinner, Buster gave his consent. I thought he was joking at first. I can't tell you how big the smile on my face was. I probably looked like the Joker.

Needless to say, I'm shitting-my-pants-excited.

So is Kelsey, although you wouldn't know it from our photo shoot this morning:

"You are bringing WHAT home?"




"I see what you are doing here: playing tug-of-war with me so that you can take my picture. I don't approve."

Comments

  1. How exciting! The first pic you have of kelsey looking at camera, seems like she needs to work on processing idea of puppy sibling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooooooo jealous. Jealous. Jealous. Jealous. Adorable little puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love puppies! I would have a house full of them if I could. I bet your pups will grow to be best friends. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two dogs and they are the best of buds. I couldn't imagine having just one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, how exciting! I can't wait to see pictures of the new puppy once he/she arrives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that's awesome! Kelsey is going to be a big sis!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is super news!!! I love having two goldens!!! I may be biased but they are the worlds best dogs!!! Congrats!!! I can't wait to see this story progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun!!! I think Goldens are great family dogs (any retriever for that matter). So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super envious! Kelsey is just so beautiful. Goldens are high up my list, but as I grew up with the best border collie in the world, that is what my heart longs for. I can't wait to see pictures when your next pup comes home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I tried to convince my hubby to get another dog. I had to settle for chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sweet Kelsey!! Cant wait for her to have a little brother/sister to boss around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVE these pics of Kelsey! What a sweet pup she is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is sooo cute! They will be fun together!
    Congrats!
    BTW we had a golden too, he was the best and he LOVED to swim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww YAY on a new puppy! When you get that adorable LO, be sure to sniff that puppy breath for me! lol
    Are you gonna get another girl or a boy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also had two goldens.. Loved my boys!! We had Mortimer first and when he was 4 we decided to get him a buddy.. in cam 4 month old Farley. Now I wish I could say my boys become instant best friends, but sadly that did not happen. It was very hard in the beginning, Mortimer tried on numerous occasions to kill (probably not actually kill but bite for sure) Farley. We stuck with it though anf those boys had many years together, playing, and cuddling together.
    I just want to caution you that the beginning might be really hard on Kelsey and to make sure she still feels loved and to spend some one on one time with her after the puppy is there.
    I hope that they become instant friends and you have no problems. But if its not all sunshine and roses just know it DOES get better and you will love having the two of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So jealous!! We can't have a dog because our cat doesn't get along with any animals.

    I am so excited for you! Can't wait till June!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun! And oh my Kelsey was adorable as a pup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! We had a golden growing up and they are wonderful dogs. Two dogs are easier than one (most of the time)... you guys will have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww ... congratulations! The only thing cuter than one golden retriever is two!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah! That is so exciting! I'm so glad we got a second dog. When we first got the little brown pit bull she had seizures occasionally, I don't know if they were from separation anxiety or what, but she'd have them every couple months. Since we brought fat dog home (three years ago) she's only had one or two. Yeah for puppy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How exciting! Love the pics - can't wait to see the ones of Kelsey with her little brother/sister!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So exciting! Nothing like a new puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gotta love a fellow dog lover! We have three dogs (2 vizslas and 1 papillon). And we're breeding our girl Una (vizsla) and keeping a puppy this summer for a grand total of four! They're such great dogs and we compete with them as a hobby. Dogs bring so much joy and unconditional love, I wouldn't know how'd I'd survive without them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts